Island Explorer Assistant Leader
Waterman’s Community Center, a 501(c)(3) charitable corporation, is seeking a responsible, organized, and dedicated assistant to be the second in command for our summer Island Explorer Camps. The Assistant Leader would be the right hand person to the camp leader with the ability to take over for the leader in the event of an emergency. Island Explorers starts June 19th and ends September 1st. Camps run Monday – Friday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Waterman’s encourages the Assistant Leader to work for the full 11 weeks of the camp.
Island Explorers is a nature based summer camp offered to year round and summer visiting children, 6 to 9 years old. Our focus changes weekly with themes such as, Nature Scavenger Hunts, Shelters and Survival, Birds and Beaches and Art in Nature. The Assistant Leader should be comfortable sharing their knowledge of the outdoors and enviornment with children.
Each day we meet at Waterman's Red Barn, in downtown North Haven. The morning consists of quiet play and snack as everyone gathers. After the group is together we have a discussion about the days exploration, hop into our adventure van and head out. Next we do a guided activity based on the theme of the week, enjoy lunch at the beach, and return to Waterman's for pick up.
One of our goals while exploring North Haven's outdoors is to foster natural curiosity in the arts and sciences. Campers will learn about island ecology through outdoor excursions around our local ponds, beaches, farms, and forest trails.
- Arriving between 8:30-8:45 AM to assist with child drop off and check in. Leaving no earlier than 1:15 to assist with child check out and pick up.
- Assisting the Leader in creating and implementing camp curriculums.
- Ensuring the safety of each child participant with oversight from the leader/coordinator.
- Assisting in leading the group through the day’s schedule.Helping set up each day’s scheduled activities.Setting up for and cleaning up after each activity.
- Participating fully in the day’s activities, engaging with the children's play as appropriate.
- Serving as a role model for the children by showing respect, support and good behavior.
- Assisting head teacher/leader in all other aspects of the program as needed.
- Monday – Friday from 8:30 AM – 1:15 PM plus prep & clean up depending on schedule.
- All applicants need to have a valid drivers license.
- Experience working with children.
- Background in environmental science, geography, outdoor education, prior work in similar summer camp, or any other skills/education that would enrich the experience.
The Executive Director and/or the Programs Coordinator will guide Assistant Leader through at least two (2) evaluation sessions to “check in” and make sure job duties are understood and completed correctly.
Hours/Pay: 10 – 25 hrs/week -- $12.00 - $15.00/hr. depending on experience and job performance. Paid bi-weekly